Tuesday 20 June 2006

No safety in numbers

So I blearily stumbled out of my door this morning to take out the trash and thought - where the heck's the bowl of flowers? Some b*stard's nicked some of my plant pots!

Now I know my garden's overgrown - (but it's intentionally like that, the owner squeaked) - but nicking my plant pots is a bit much! By the look of it, there's three gone. It's difficult to tell, as I have a lot of them - it's a small garden with a chunk of concrete -hence pots on the hardstanding - but it looks like the ones that are currently out (like - flowering with a vengeance, looking great, cost a lot!) are among the vanished. Rhodohypoxis, I mourn thee - ten years I've had these, and they've dutifully flowered every spring/summer, they have been the subject of mystery - why did I plant half red bulbs, half white, and they all end up white? - they have cheered me up every year. Gone, now, probably to some a**hole's stall at a car-boot sale. It's not as if it would be awfully easy - walking down the road with a pot of plants would be a bit obvious, let alone several - has to be a car heist. And they'd have to be looking closely - the garden ain't that self-evident.

What, or who, can profit in plant-pot heists?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it kind of make you want to go around to boot-sales and look?
It's especially upsetting to lose something like that, that you've put time & effort into over so long. Some quote...he who steals my purse , takes nothing, but he who takes my pot plants takes my labour! OK, lots of liberties there. LOL!

Jude

mad said...

Oh Jude, it does, but there are so many, and I can't pin down exactly when it happened - so probably well away by now. I'll be keeping my eye out as I travel around though.

:sigh: It's the fact that someone actually DID it that bites, mostly.

d. said...

well, if you're born with yellow fingers like me, the only chance you have with a plant is if you nick a healthy one from someone who has green fingers. :l

however, i myself would never nick. i'd just drop MANY MANY hints and then whine for a few hundred days before the owner gave me the potted plant so that i shut up. :D

{{{{{{{{{mad}}}}}}}}